I stayed on the down-low all weekend and didn’t do much to feed the geek; instead sticking to things around and outside my apartment. However, I did upgrade Movable Type from 3.33 to 3.34. I didn’t think this would be a huge improvement, but anything to do with the cgi part of the site loads very significantly faster now. Yay!
I also loaded Akismet (which has nothing to do with wireless tech), based on suggestions, and have started playing with the configuration of it and MT’s built-in spam filtering. I can definitely see the improvement as I have to delete less and less comments every day. And I am pretty adamant about leaving my blog’s comments open to anyone.
Eventually I need to make sure my outbound firewall (host-based on the server) is allowed outbound connections so I get proper blacklists and updates, but I decided to wait. My background in sciences in college always tugs at me in the computer world: set the stage and then change things only one at a time to see the effect on the system.