In a twist of irony, I’m also stealing this preso link from Gunnar’s interview with Brian Chess: How To Steal Like An Artist, by Austin Kleon. Not a ton of this is new, but it’s a new way to look at things, and almost every item pertains to life/career outside of art.
Just in case the site ever dies, I thought I’d also reproduce the raw list of steps here. But this is certainly no substitute for checking out the original post and probably the book. Anything in [square brackets] is me adding to the item, either my own thoughts or the author’s subitems.
1. Steal like an artist. [So many subitems!]
2. Don’t wait to know who you are to make things. [Just do it!]
3. Write the book you want to read.
4. Use your hands.
5. Side projects and hobbies are important.
6. The secret: do good work and put it where people can see it. [Give away your secrets!]
7. Geography is no longer our master.
8. Be nice. The world is a small town. [Matches a core philosophy of mine.]
9. Be boring. It’s the only way to get work done.
10. Creativity is subtraction. [Concentrate on what’s important]